The description of the profession
A fashion designer and pattern maker creates and draws garment designs, matches colours, cuts different light clothes as well as outerwear. He/ she makes patterns and cuts single or multilayer fabrics of which the garments are sewed. He/ she determines a type of figure and according to it selects the right model and garment design, designs various garments for women, men and children, or constructs them by an existing model, makes patterns, cuts fabric. This professional is able to sew as well: he fits a garment to a customer's measurements, indicates defects and, if necessary, repairs and eliminates them, manages to alter the garment. A fashion designer and pattern maker works inside: in sewing enterprises, individual sewing ateliers, fashion houses. Working conditions depend on the type and size of the company in which they work and on the modernization level. Working day may be termless.
Entering Klaipėda Technology Training Centre
Required education – secondary (12 forms) and after graduation from dressmaking training programme.
Duration of studies – 1 year.
After the successful completion of this vocational course you will be able to:
- Create and draw garment designs;
- Select the right model according to the type of figure;
- Prepare patterns of new clothes for production;
- Construct garments;
- Cut garments;
- Measure clothes;
- Organize work activities;
- Keep count of an enterprise.
You will learn the following:
- Basics of economics and business ;
- Construction of bottoms;
- Construction of women's tops;
- Construction of men's tops;
- Construction of children's clothing;
- Technical modelling of garment construction;
- Structural preparation of clothing patterns;
- Garment cutting and sewing;
- Sewing materials;
- Computer-aided design of clothes;
- Costume Design;
- Employees’ health and safety;
- Business Law;
- Computer graphics;
- You will also perform on-job apprenticeship.