The description of the profession
A florist makes different decorative cut flower and dry flower compositions, composes flower arrangements for different occasions, festivals, special events, binds garlands, makes wreaths, composes pictures from dry flowers, decorates household items and showcases other living areas with flowers.
He also decorates with plants everyday, festive, party and special occasion tables, showcases, stands, or hall stage. A florist knows the biological properties of plants, is able to plant and replant them, look after various types of plants. A florist works in flower shops where he serves the customers: composes arrangements for orders and requests, gives advice which composition of the plants suits best to the occasion, orders goods, writes invoices. This is a very creative work, on holidays working hours may be unfixed.
Entering Klaipėda Technology Training Centre requires:
Required education – basic (10 forms) or secondary (12 forms).
Duration of studies – 2 or 3 years.
After the successful completion of this vocational course you will be able to:
- Organize the work allocation;
- Order, deliver, handle materials and floral arrangements;
- Calculate floral material, product and service cost;
- Serve and advise customers;
- To select the assortiment of plants;
- Prepare plants compose and take care of them;
- Select tools and materials for the plants to maintain and compose;
- Manage the composition of artistic expression and reconciliation;
- Select plants, containers and materials to create compositions;
- Use floral tools and materials;
- Arrange plants.
You will study such vocational subjects as:
- Materials science;
- Spec. drawing and colours;
- Business organization and accounting;
- Plant composition;
- Floral design framework;
- Floral design in the interior;
- Legal framework;
- Professional ethics;
- Plantations and care;
- Practical training firm performance;
- Occupational safety and health;
- General education subjects;
- Participate in project work.