The description of the profession
The dressmaker is trained to perform various sewing operations. This professional makes the essential detailes for light male and female garments according to presented model as well as selects insert fabrics, threads, fittings. Dressmaker cobbles and alterates textile or similar material garments. The young professional is supposed to work using various sewing machines and applying the newest dressmaking techniques. S/he can embroider according to the model or authentic sketch, decorate ready-made clothes or fabrics with patterns, seam garments of various fabrics such as knitwear, fur, leather and etc.. A dressmaker can tidy up the edges of handiwork, unbend, seam and stitch segments of fabrics. Such professional can work at state or private enterprises of dressmaking or social services.
Entering Klaipėda Technology Training Centre requires:
Required education – basic (10 forms) or secondary (12 forms).
Duration of studies – 2 or 3 years.
After the successful completion of this vocational course you will be able to:
- Accept the customer‘s order;
- Adjust the garment model according to the customer;
- Select the basic garment model and correct it according to the template and peculiarities of client‘s body built.
- Select fabrics and production mode;
- Cut and sew various garments.
You will study such vocational subjects as:
- Sewing basics;
- Waist garment sewing;
- Shoulder lining free garment sewing;
- Sewing of elements of garments with lining;
- Sewing of garments with lining;
- Garment making with fitting;
- Making and altering of garments of variuos cuttings;
- Cutting and sewing of garments;
- Garment modelling / constructing;
- Sewing equipment science;
- Composition of garments;
- Needlework materials;
- Basic Law;
- Employees’ health and safety.
You will also perform on-job apprenticeship
After the completion of the vocational college a secondary education certificate and vocational training certificate are provided.